Saturday 26 December 2020

Frank Ifield in Panto - Dec 26 & 27 1974

As I post this at the end of 2020, it serves as a cruel reminder of what we're missing this year. Namely the Christmas panto. In 1974 we were treated to Jack And The Beanstalk starring comedian Ken Goodwin and yodelling Australian Frank Ifield. What I thought of it goes unrecorded here, my only note being an apology that I'd had to use an orange pen to colour his face in. A career as a theatre reviewer was definitely lower on my list than a career as a designer who colours things badly then finds excuses for it.

Some legendary TV on at the time, including On The Town (which we watched only a couple of weeks ago), MASH (which the Socks did a song about only last month) and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home (about which I was reminiscing very recently). And this must, I assume, be the first time I'd seen Help! It was definitely the first time, and possibly the last, I tried drawing The Beatles.





Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here


The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre will be touring near you sometime. Catch up with them on Facebook for the latest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment