Sunday 20 January 2019

Found - All my long lost diaries. Entry No 1: June 24 1974


Clearing out the cupboards and hidden corners of Mum's house I found something that I thought had been lost forever - my missing diaries.

I have had, and been posting pages on this blog, just three volumes of my teenage Picture Diary, volumes 9, 10 and 11 (mid 1976 to late 1977). For years I've assumed they were the only ones to survive the various clear-outs and tidy-ups that have happened in the 40-odd years since I drew them. Now I know better and I couldn't be more pleased.

From the very first skimpy folded-paper diaries, through the hardcover art books, I now have them all. I began on June 24th 1974 and entries dry up in 1978 as I start taking my O levels seriously. A written diary continues into the 1980s, but the full colour fully decorated version lasted a little over four years. As you can see from this first entry, the plan was to do a comic strip of my life. I don't think it took long before I realised there was nothing in my life worth illustrating. Though I must say, Day One proved quite action packed.


Further pages to follow when time allows.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here

No comments:

Post a Comment