Saturday 26 December 2020

The Christmas Dayth - Dec 25 1974


The first Christmas captured by my Picture Diary (which began life towards the end of term in June 1974) concentrates on illustrating the goodies I've received. Which include the legendary Goodies Files, a book that crops up regularly in second hand bookshops at pocket money prices. Does no-one realise the sheer quality of that book? With its cutout pages, overlaps and folds, and of course top notch comedy writing and pictures it is rivalled only by another pressie I got that year, The Brand New Monty Python Papperbok.

I had in fact been bought the Papperbox the previous Christmas (well, the hardback Bok version) by Mum who then took a lot through it and decided I was too young for it. She wasn't wrong. There are gags in this book that I wasn't going to understand for a few years yet. 

That trouser belt was one I treasured and wore for the next five years, into my student days. It may still exist somewhere, it was a solid piece of brass was that buckle. That Giles book may well have been the foundation stone of my collection, which now included all but half a dozen very early books. To be honest, some could use replacing with less tatty versions. I wonder if I'll remember that in time for next year's Christmas presents?



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here


The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre will be touring near you sometime. Catch up with them on Facebook for the latest. 

1 comment:

  1. Xmas and Giles annuals are an essential part of my youth!

    ReplyDelete