Wednesday 23 October 2019

Frank Bellamy - October 23 1976

Will you look at that picture by Frank Bellamy? If you're not familiar with his work, check it out. He did a legendary run on Dan Dare, created Heros The Spartan in the Eagle, and was the long running artist on the Daily Mirror strip Garth, but it was his illustrations for Doctor Who in the Radio Times that I had in my collection. And look how I treated them. Hacked out and stuck into my diary with cow gum.

My diary is as eventful as ever, trudging round the shops with Mum and moaning about what TV shows I've missed. I also seem to have written and/or drawn a strip called The Moronic Man, of which history has no record. It was a while before I was to have anything published.

This Bellamy illustration was for 1975's Doctor Who story Terror Of The Zygons. And we can see from the TV listings that, on Saturday, Sarah Jane's final adventure The Hand Of Evil was on.

My Records For The Day are classics, though one seems to have been a new release, If You Leave Me Now by Chicago. Andy Kim remains a favourite and, being two years old at the time, was obviously already one then too. Did that sentence make any sense?




Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here


The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre will be touring near you sometime. Catch up with them on Facebook for the latest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment